Interpret Jeremy Deller’s Battle of Orgreave and reflect on the importance of time and place in this piece. Write 800-1,000 words.
Title: ‘Battle of Orgreave, 2001’
Introduction (100 words): I will be analysing Jeremy Deller’s Battle of Orgreave and how it deals with the themes of time and place (essence sentence). The piece is a re-enactment of the 1984 miners strike, in which the miners were chased and pursued by the police. The re-enactment took place in 2001 with one thousand participants, two hundred of which had been former miners (and former policemen?) that had been involved in the original dispute.
- Personal response to the piece, initial reaction, what do I think?
- Media and form (including performance and installation)
- Why has Deller chosen this format? comparison to Goya paintings of battles and conflicts, inspiration from seeing the news
- Contextual information (what influenced this piece? what does it talk about? political bias, Margaret Thatcher, original policemen and miners? what could this mean?)
- Time and place (was it re-enacted same place? memories for ‘battle’ veterans? place defined by event)
- Deller’s other work, how do they relate?
- What does it achieve?
Conclusion (100 words, one main point)
Interpretation is more important than description.
Use limited amount of sources.